Friday, June 19, 2009

Ephemeral Memory

For this submission we were required to analyse existing rooms of a hospital and relate them to both intelligent mechanics and the site of our chosen health care facility. In exploring the links between these rooms, intelligent mechanics and my own scheme of an institute for early onset Alzheimer’s I chose to utilise the game modding software of the Crysis Sandbox Editor to evocatively examine the constraints of clinical environments in caring for patients with dementia.

My chosen room to materialise into the software was an intensive care unit- a room that places practicality above all else by means of necessity. The urgency and highly clinical nature of an ICU places it in stark contrast to my institute, far more so than that of the ward or operating theatre that were explored by Harry and Ryan, therefore fitting into my aim highlighting the limitations of such a clinical environment in my own context.

My machinima is highly metaphorical, using the symbolism of a storm, water and light to portray the debilitating illness of Alzheimer’s disease. The animation explores the coldness of an intensive care unit as well as the ward and operating theatre that Harry and Ryan have produced. It also explores the daunting significance of the exhaust stack that exists in the middle of our site, and the concern of dealing with such a structure in the context of a health care facility. My aim with this video and my future design is to move away from a clinical architecture to a space of peace, comfort and safety. I am not attempting to cure dementia, but to explore the potential and limitations of architecture in helping these individuals.

Here is the finished animation for Experiment 2, "Ephemeral Memory". Due to the low quality, it seems a bit dark. Will try uploading a higher quality version when possible.



The 3 posters and picture grid can be found at my Flickr Site as well as in the posts below.

1 comment: