Monday, March 23, 2009

Stop Motion and Me

After we made the stop motion videos of our models, it got me thinking about the possibilities of a stop motion model. I immediatly got this idea of a "slide box" (see previous post) where one fixed box has a series of slots that slides can slide into, and it being done as an animation would allow for the "slides" to change and move from slot to slot, creating various visual effects.

The more I thought about this idea the more I liked it. It would create a model that wouldn't exist without the animation, however, and presenting it without the animation I estimate would require about 4-6 static models.

On Friday I made these sketches (above) of the various ideas I thought I could use. These ideas included:
  • a topographical terrain mapping
  • slide "waves" across the slide box
  • cutting in on the X axis as opposed to just limiting it the the Y axis
  • having objects tilt to represent the camera tilting
  • the slides "flipping" to panel, to allow for limited text
This idea is rather complex, and would require many, many of these "slides" to make it worthwhile pursueing. Therefore, instead of only using the laser cutter, I am proposing to do a lot of it by hand, and leave a certain segment for laser cutting only, where I will be able to do very ornate, complex shapes blending into each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment