Monday, March 23, 2009

Brainstorming

To start the process of creating this complex model/animation, I wanted to storyboard my ideas. I has so many different ideas of what I wanted to convey, but I decided that I wanted it to be a narrative. Then the question was, what do I want to say about the site, the exhaust stack, and the porspect of a health care facility?

I started thinking about the stack and what words would describe it. I came up with:
  • Dynamic
  • Vertical
  • Evolving
  • Embedded
  • Belonging
  • Excavated
  • Relationship
  • Mutual
  • Parasitic
Then I started to think of the reasons why these words seemed to belong to the Exhaust Stack, and my own personal response was that both site and Exhaust Stack are reliant upon each other. I have decided to make my stop motion model about a history of this relationship- an abstract exploration of how these 2 entities met.

This narrative will be explored in 5 segments:
  1. We are introduced to the site, and a tower grows and looms in the centre of it, reducing the scale of the site.
  2. The tower consumes the site and we travel through the "mouth" of the tower as we travel back to understand how this relationship formed.
  3. On a blank bed of "slides" hexagons appear and line up - representing the built environment that did exist around the site. These hexagon are then "sliced" down their centres- symbolising the creating of the tunnel. Rectilinear forms then cover the wounded hexagons to symbolise how the site adjusts to the changes.
  4. The box then wipes clean. A series of small hemishperes then "swim" through the slide box, representing the cars that travel down and the importance of the new constrcution. They are followed by a single, extremely large hemisphere that slowly swims through the site- representing the inevitable effect of the cars travelling through. Angular rectilinear forms then built up on the slide box to form 3 towers.
  5. These towers emit small "smoke puffs" that begin to cluster. They form a large smoke pillar that licks the air with an ornate complexity, but also a sense of danger. This, obviously represents the problem that has occured with these poisonous gases needing to be expelled. This pillar then turns back into the tower from Segment 1- confirming the role of the stack and its importance in the site.
Although difficult to explain without a full storyboard, I am very pleased with this idea. And certain segments may have to be cut out due to time contraints.

No comments:

Post a Comment